As a unique group that has spent countless hours in conversation, discussions and "frogging", crocheters have adopted their own acronyms and language, crochet slang words if you might call it that.
Some are humorous and some are threatening in a funny way. Nonetheless, these acronyms or our very own "slang" were intended to be a quick way of conveying a message during a conversation or discussion. They are, of course, meant to be funny and by all means convenient and easy to understand for all crocheters.
We have learned to develop a unique way of understanding each other without letting others know what we are talking about, unless they are crocheters themselves.
Here are some of the acronyms and lingo that we use loosely amongst ourselves with their corresponding values.
1. Ami – Short for Amigurumi
2. BiStitchtual – Someone who crochets and knits.
3. C2C- Corner to Corner
4. CAL – Crochet Along
5. De-stash - selling or giving away yarn you STASH
6. FO – Finished object
7. FOTH – Fresh off the Hook
8. Freehand – Making a project without following a pattern.
9. Frogging – ripping out rows or rounds of crochet – rip it – ribbit – we rippit rippit
10. HOTH – hot off the hook
11. Hooker – A proud and happy Crocheter
12. HSPY – haven’t started project yet
13. ISO – In search of
14. JOTH – Just off the Hook
15. LYS – Local or little yarn store
16. MAM – Mile a minute afghan
17. MGBTC – Must get back to crocheting
18. OCD – Obsessive crocheting disorder
19. PABLE – pattern accumulation beyond life expectancy
20. PHD – Projects half done
21. PIGS – Projects in grocery sacks
22. PTP – Permission to Post ( some use this word for social group with strict terms and conditions)
23. SABLE – stash accumulation beyond life expectancy
24. STASH – Special treasures all secretly hidden meant to be discovered unexpectedly
25. TALC – Take along crochet
26. TIA – Thank you in advance
27. TOAD – Trashed object abandoned in disgust
28. UFO – unfinished object
29. USO – Unstarted object
30. Yarn Cakes – The small skeins of yarn that result from using a yarn winder.
31. WIM – Work in mind
32. WIP – Work in progress
33. WIVSP – Work in very slow progress
34. YAP – Yet another Project
35. Yarn Barf – the tangled mess of yarn from the center of a skein
36. Yarn Bomb – A decorative piece of crocheted or knitted art that is strung up in a public place.
37. YART – Yarn acquisition road trip
LOL – Laugh out loud
39. ROFL – Rollin on floor laughing
40. DH – Dear Husband
41. DD – Dear Daughter
42. DS – Dear Son
43. MIL – Mother in Law
44. FIL – Father in Law
45. SIL – Sister in Law
46. BIL – Brother in Law
47. IMO – In my opinion
48. BTW – By the way
49. ATM – At the moment
Girlie's Crochet > Crochet Slang Words